Onward Together

Onward Together

Saturday, November 25, 2023

Thankful

 Thankful

 

Once again, we come to a holiday where we are asked to give thanks for those things we value. 

 

Here’s my list.

 

I am thankful for the glimmer of bipartisanship in the House of Representatives caused by Democrats and sensible Republicans who came together to pass bills to avoid another government shutdown. The new Speaker, a MAGA extremist, saw that his only way forward was to work across the aisle to pass the needed appropriations. It may end up costing him his job as speaker with the Freedom Caucus expresses its anger over what they perceive as his betrayal.

 

I am thankful that Democrats in Congress and the White House are the adults in the room in the halls of power. The Biden administration has racked up a series of impressive victories improving the economy through infrastructure spending, negotiating lower drug prices for seniors on Medicare, supporting reproductive healthcare, standing with striking auto workers to help secure a fair contract, standing up to protect democracy in Ukraine and working to rein in Israel’s excesses in Gaza while supporting its right to exist, working to build lasting alliances in the Pacific and South America, and a host of others.

 

I am thankful for Democrats in Washington County. We are the fourth largest county party in Wisconsin, quite an accomplishment in one of the state’s reddest areas. We weathered Covid and the reconstruction of Main Street, keeping our office open year-round downtown and banking enough to meet expenses for each year by the end of the previous one. We are looking forward to a spirited campaign year supporting candidates up and down the ticket. We stand for reproductive healthcare without restrictions and continue to advocate for sensible gun law reform. 

 

One of our latest projects is a benefit concert to end gun violence at The Bend on December 6th, featuring local and regional musical groups which are donating their time and talents to support the cause. All the proceeds from tickets will be donated to activist groups working to end gun violence. You can get tickets at https://secure.actblue.com/donate/benefitconcertdec6

I hope to see you all there. 

 

I am thankful for my family. We are all mostly healthy and secure and visit when we can. We support each other and love unconditionally. While we are spread across several countries and continents, we keep in touch and enjoy each other’s company. I am grateful to have been married to my best friend for over 50 years. Our children and grandchildren are thriving and productive. My family history has helped put my own life in a greater context understanding now that my paternal grandfather paved the way for my own progressive activism.

 

I am thankful to live in a small community. It is a joy to enter local small businesses where they greet me by name. Keeping up with local politics and events in our area are easy and fun to observe. We look out for our neighbors, and they look out for us. 

I am thankful for my careers as a lawyer and as a guardian for those who can no longer make decisions for themselves. While both careers are over, the life lessons learned and the memories of people I have helped during my working years provide much comfort and satisfaction. Both endeavors took me into worlds I had not experienced and helped me expand my horizons. 

 

I am thankful for the opportunity to write this column every other week. I’ve been keeping tabs on local, state, and national politics here for 12 years and have never run out of things to write about. I appreciate the constructive criticism some of my readers express in letters to the editor and chuckle some when those who cannot find a way to address the issues descend into personal attacks and name calling. I appreciate the tips and leads readers send my way. 

 

All in all, I am thankful to be alive right here and right now. I hope you and yours can be as thankful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment